December 13, 2011 / lynnettedobberpuhl

Hey Moms! Let’s Put On a Show!

After completing two trips to the high school and two trips to Target today, all before 9:30 a.m., I found myself in the car, singing, “This is just how I’d hoped my life would go!” I was being ironic. This kind of morning is not at all what I thought my life would be like, back when I was young and life was ripe with possibility. However, the experience did open my eyes a little. I have realized that what we need in this country right now is a musical devoted to the humorous and painful life of the at-home mom. I don’t have a title yet, but here are some titles for songs that I think would work:

Tears in the Dishwater

Morning Chardonnay

(When You Say Bland) You’d Better Mean Delicious

A Letter From the Teacher

A Small Dose of Prozac

There’s Poop Where?

Dog’s Haircut “What should I think, when the bill makes me blink, and I see the dog’s haircut cost more than mine?”

If God’s a Woman, She’s Got a Quirky Sense of Humor

I envision all music genres used here. “Tears” could be a ballad, “Chardonnay” kind of a boozy waltz. “Bland” I see as a  powerful rock anthem. I keep hearing “A Spoonful of Sugar” when I think “A Small Dose of Prozac,” so it is good that I won’t be writing these songs myself; I’d only get into trouble.  Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland and their Hollywood-cast pals would put on a show to raise money to save something or get something…I don’t know the details; that was before my time. My point is our musical could raise money, maybe for therapy! Or a retreat that moms on the edge could take turns in. I’m flexible. I’ll help with the writing and the set design, and I don’t think we’ll have to worry about refreshments; someone will bring cookies or muffins. Are you in? What job do you want?

1. Kelly Thompson / Dec 13 2011 7:00 pm

If you’re allowing pet moms to participate, I will lend my songwriting abilities as well as my marketing and promotional experience. I sure as hell can’t be counted on to bring cookies or muffins, but if you need a keg of beer or cask of wine, I’m your girl!

• lynnettedobberpuhl / Dec 13 2011 7:45 pm

Petmoms are QUITE welcome! Especially bearing gifts of alcohol, because we showmoms like to get our drink on early and often.

2. SusanWritesPrecise / Dec 13 2011 8:06 pm

I’ll bring the Chardonnay. Is now a good time?

• lynnettedobberpuhl / Dec 13 2011 8:27 pm

Bring it! We can brainstorm plotline and lyrics until we find a piano.

3. Kay Vallery Young / Dec 13 2011 11:11 pm

I’ll make costumes!!! And I’ll ask for Anne’s clam dip recipe–it’s great with chips and wine or beer. Don’t even THINK cookies! I spent 8 hours on cookies today! What’s the matter with me!!! Wouldn’t you think I’d know better at my age?! How old were they thinking when they suggested wisdom came with age?

• lynnettedobberpuhl / Dec 14 2011 9:28 am

As they say…Sometimes wisdom comes with age; sometimes age comes alone. 🙂 You are very wise, just maybe not about cookies? That would explain my own lack of cookie wisdom.